lifting an engine with the boom

Previous topic - Next topic

a_becker

Hi,
I'm in a marina on Quadra Island waiting for a new engine to show up (replacing M25XP with M25XPB due to connecting rod going (already had a rebuild done on motor) .  The marina does not have a lift so I will have to get over to the government dock without a motor (planning on using dinghy tied alongside for power).
Another alternative would be to hoist it with block and tackle using the boom and swing it over to the dock.  The motor weighs 300 pounds.  Has anyone ever done this?  Can the boom take the load?

Al

Hull #939 1989

Ron Hill

Al : GREAT Question!!  On getting the boat over to the dock without a motor - is doable, but make sure that you use a "side tow".

As far as lifting the engine with the boom, I did it to change the engine mounts.  However, I only lifted the front or the back of the engine at a time - not the entire engine.  The M25XPA with transmission is 306lbs and I'll guess that the XPB probably weighs 316 lbs. I also used the topping lift on the top side of the boom just over the point that attached to the engine to insure that I didn't put a bow in the boom. 
Think you need to call the factory and ask them your question.  I suspect the weakest point may be the goose neck attaching point to the boom??  The further out on the boom the engine is - the greater the moment!!

Let us know what the factory says.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

David Sanner

There is a stainless pin at the masthead that the topping lift connects to.
It's only a 1/4 inch in diameter.  It would probably hold 300lbs but I'm not
sure how much more and it wouldn't be nice to have the go while you have
the engine up in the air.

Getting a 300lb motor on and off the boat seems like the bigger problem
and swinging that much weight out one side could be a problem as well...

You might be able to build a small support to help hold the boom
(say a couple 2x4's that form a triangle and support the aft end of the boom)
and then lift the motor out and slide it back onto a piece of plywood in the cockpit.

Then get 4 big guys to get it off and the new one onboard.

Good luck!

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Jeff_McKinney

Al & David,

Some thoughts to improve your safety (if you haven't already thought of them) and assuming the factory thinks the gooseneck can take the load:

1. That pin concerns me. It will focus a lot of pressure on a very narrow surface area of the topping lift. Although it would be a pain, if you can figure out a way to get up and tie it off to a broader surface that will lessen the risk of it breaking. Another consideration would be to rig an additional line from the end of the boom to the masthead to reinforce it.

2. I assume you have a soft vang based on your boat number. If you do (or can borrow a comparable block & tackle), attach it halfway between where the engine is now and a place on the cockpit floor (4:1 lifting power or better). This should be enough to allow you to pull the engine out of the compartment and then lower it to the cockpit deck. Put some planks down to protect the fiberglass. You may have to shift the vang out on the boom to allow it to reach the dock in a second step.

3. When you get ready to swing it, be sure the boat is tied as snugly to the dock as possible. This will minimize the bouncing & heeling as the load comes over. If you have some "rail meat" (extra bodies) put them on the opposite rail for ballast.

4. Put 2 tailing lines on the engine. One should lead to the dock (pulling it over) the other back to the boat (controls the rate of swing outboard)

Good luck.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

David Sanner

One other option I was thinking of... are there any larger boats around that have
a lift/davit for storing  a dingy on deck?

Maybe you could get one of them to use their lift on your engine?
It might take a lot of beer but seems like a better tool for the job.

But if you do try it with the boom...

Jeff makes a good point about reenforcing the topping lift.
Why don't you loop the main halyard under the end of the boom?
You'll have to have the boom angled up pretty high so that the
motor will be able to clear the cabin top when it's fully raised.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

a_becker

Thanks for all the good points.

I think the lowest risk option for me will be to use the dinghy (8hp Honda) to motor the boat over to the government dock and use their crane. It will be a straight up and down scenario with the old and new.  I'm glad I have this option.  I'll follow up with Catalina to find out about load capabilities so others who may not be as fortunate will have the knowledge.

I was thinking if I was going to use the boom that I would use the main sheet halyard looped around the boom at the point where the engine comes out to give more support. Probably also use the spinnaker halyard to give additional support.

Another Catalina 34 pulled in here, Galiander 1990.  I think John may hang around to see how this all progresses for future reference.

Thanks for your assistance.  This website and technology is pretty amazing when you think I'm out in the Desolation Sound area and can communicate with other sailors to get advice on a problem.

Al

Stu Jackson

Al, please say Hi to John and his wife for me and our son Morgan.  We visited with them a few years ago.  Thanks,

added for future searches: removing engine techniques
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Soko

Al,
I've done what you are proposing twice.  Once with my C36 and once with a buddy's CS36.  Let me offer a slightly different approach.  Do NOT use the topping lift as a support for the boom and hang the engine off the boom.  Instead, use the boom only as an attachment point for other lines.  Use your main halyard and halyard winch (it can hold LOTS more than 3-400 lbs) as the primary lifting device.  To control the angle of lift (fore and aft), run the halyard thru a snatch block, which is attached to the end of your aft reefing line.  If you just use the halyard, the engine will have a tendency to pull towards the mast, and you'll never get it out of the cabin.  The main halyard is connected to a chain on the engine lifting eyes. Halyard goes thru a snatch block (resting next to the boom).  Reefing line attaches to the snatch block, back thru the block on the side of the boom, forward to the gooseneck, down to deck, back to winch on cabintop.  Use traveler and mainsheet to control port and stbd.  As you hoist halyard, engine comes up.  As you crank in on reefing line, engine moves aft along boom.  Remember to put old blankets or towels around the companionway for padding.  You can lift the engine straight up thru the companionway, swing it over to the dock, crank on the reefing line to move it outboard along the boom, then lower it to the dock.  It can all be done slowly, with lots of control.  You will have to adjust the reefing line as you take up tension on the halyard.  New engine can be installed using the same procedure.  Hope this helps.
Tom Soko

PS-If your halyard is not long enough to let the engine touch the dock, you can extend its length with another length of line.  Attach the other line to the headboard shackle, and pull the headboard shackle up 15-20 feet.  The other line would then go thru the snatch block and get attached to the chain at the engine.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT