Mk I Walk Thru Transom

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I'm curious how other Mk I owners with the walk thru transom use the stbd lazeratte?  The propane locker fills the port side so it is full.  The access to the lazeratte is extremely limited due to the size of the hatch.  Currently I just toss bumpers and spare dock lines down the "hole" and use a boat hook to retrieve when needed.  There has got to be a better way to use this space.  Has anyone come up with any ideas?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

ohana34

On Ohana, our compressor for the cold box is located in the starboard laz and also have hooks near the top for extra dock lines.  I've seen false floors put in these, but takes a lot of upside down work unless you fit down the rather tight hatch.  I've done it, but needed help to get back out.
Jim

Mark Wey

Ken/Jim

I too have the compressor for the cold box in the port lazarette. I have always wanted to make better use of it and put in a shelf.  However, I am concerned about the required circulation for the compressor. The question is how much circulation is required? Can even a partial shelf be built in? Thoughts Anyone?

Mark

Mark Wey
Hull #1063 1990
Lake Huron
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Craig Illman

I don't have a compressor in mine, so I don't have to worry about something knocking into that. I put five fenders, the anchor rode for the secondary anchor, some extra docklines, a coiled hose in a mesh bag.  I'm diving in there on Thursday to wire some cockpit speakers and run a wire for the aft water tank monitor. I'm glad I'm not one inch taller or one inch wider.

- Craig

Stephen Butler

Just curious...was the walk-through transome available in the Mk I?  We have never seen one.  Our own C34 (1990, #1023)has the integral swim platform, but no "walk-through" and a locker across the entire transom, which the PO kindly installed shelving.  The refrig. compressors is below on the starboard side, below the shelving, with access grills for ventilation.  Great storage thanks to the shelving....would be a cave otherwise.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Jim Price

My compressor (water cooled) is under the starboard settee so I use the starboard "hole" for extra fendres, lines, buckets.  I mounted several plaxtic type hooks under lid lip and hang the lines and lines to the fenders on these hooks.  That way I don't have to go "diving" for stuff.  Not a great storage space but it is something.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Rick Johnson

Mr. Butler,

Mine is a 1990 Mk-I with a walk-thru transom.  I believe this started in 1990 and was an option.  I've seen the 1990s with the swim step and with or without the walk-thru transom.

Cheers
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stephen Butler

Rick, thanks for the picture...had never seen this.  I am sure it is an easier trip on and off the boat with your arrangement compared to our own....just don't know what we'd do without the extra storage.  Thanks again.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

ssk

I have a 1994 with a refrigerator bottom starboard.
I use a small auto elastic cargo net fastened with nylon hooks.
It expands to max size, then as you remove gear, the bottom stuff moves up within reach.

Sid Kushner
Lady K (1281)
Channel Islands Harbor

Ken Juul

According to the 1990 sales brochure and the info on the "brochure" page, hull 1046 made in 1990 was the first to offer the walk thru.  The brochure has a picture showing the new feature on page 4.  Mine is a 1990, #1090. 

Sounds like we all do about the same thing.  I'm thinking eventually I'll use it to store a honda generator, will have to build a shelf/box arrangement for that if it will fit through the hatch.  May also rig some nets or pouches to drop the dock lines and fenders into.

Next question.  What do you have for a helm seat?  Mine is teak, height is even with the sides to make a "bench" seat.  Who ever made it did a good job, but it looks DIY rather than production.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Price

I also have a teak bench seat that fills the open space between the two lockers.  The bench originally had a 3" cushion that attached with two snaps in front and made it level with the two locker cushions.  When I replaced my cockpit cushions this year  (C Cushions) I had them make a special cushion that fit in same place using original snaps and about 8" - 9" thick.  Looks like a big cube but it raised me up (and especailly the Admiral) where we could see better over the pedestal, helps to lean against when standing.  I did not have the top edges "rounded" (would have looked better) because it would have reduced the overall working height.  Even when boat is heeled, the "cube" still works for me.

I also added a highly expensive (cheapest) white throw cushion that I hang on swim ladder to supprt the back as the increased heigth places a swim ladder step right in middle of your back.  Now I ride in comfort all day long.  Just a thought on utilizing the "bench space".   :clap
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Craig Illman

Jim - Your helm cushion idea is great! I have something like the 3" version mentioned earlier and it's too soft and not high enough to be functional. Did you have this done recently enough that C Concepts would have the dimensions? Was it priced out separately? If so, how much did they charge you?

Jim Price

It was part of the full package when I negotiated for all the cushions.  I don't know the price separately.  They have all the measurements for C34 MK I's - example, I opted for the "split" cushions on port cockpit bench so I could open lazzarett without removing the full "long" cushion.

Give them a call - also on internet  http://www.ccushions.com/.  I did send them a detailed drawing of the teak bench so they could match the existing snap locations.  I did not even have to move the old snaps!   As I said, the normal design is more "humped" to give a seating position when heeled but the height of mine, if rounded, would have been actually shorter except at the middle point, not really functional.  The "Cube " looks a little different but it works for me (I'm 6'1". Admiral is 5'7").

The seat is really nothing more than several layers of their foam encased and sealed into one seat.  The height is dependent on how many layers they use.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

One of, we believe, the BEST things about our 1986 C34 is the helm seat arrangement.

We've sailed on B's and J's and H's -- dare we say!

But our C34 has a raised, curved helm seat and the offset cockpit sole angles make this one of the sweetest boats to sail, sitting and/or standing, that we've ever run into.

It seems disappointing that the newer boats did away with the raised helm seat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

In my estimation, the 1990 with the "molded in" steps is the best of both worlds!!  You have the steps, but didn't loose the center space for storage.  The walk thru cut that center space in half and leaves a smaller storage on each side.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788