Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urgent: Sourcing a new strut  (Read 176 times)

Breakin Away

• Forum - Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
Urgent: Sourcing a new strut
« on: April 16, 2019, 06:05:11 PM »

Hi all,

My boat needs a new prop, shaft, and strut. I think I have good leads on the first two, but the strut is a concern. The boatyard's supplier is planning to source it from Buck Algonquin. I believe that CatalinaDirect has the exact part, with the perfect (square) hole locations and perfect curve of the mounting plate, making for the best possible fit (and least man-hours of work). I know nothing about Buck Algonquin except some online pictures that show "generic" struts with no holes and a flat mounting plate. However, I realize it's also possible that Buck Algonquin might have an identical one to the Catalina/CatalinaDirect, and might even make it for them.

Do any of you guys know about Buck Algonquin as a replacement strut for our boats?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:00:27 PM by Breakin Away »

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Noah

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent: Sourcing a new strut
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 06:38:12 PM »

I bought mine at CD. Worked fine.

See pics of install here:
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10060.15.html
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
  • "Positive Impact" 1984 C-30 #3573 trbsfk M-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 05:42:18 AM »

<<However, I realize it's also possible that Buck Algonquin might have an identical one to the Catalina/CatalinaDirect, and might even make it for them. >>

Why not ask CTY parts, should be the first go-to for parts.

Alternatively ask BA if they supplied the strut to CTY.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 08:25:01 AM »

I think you answered your own question" I know nothing about Buck Algonquin". On a major component replacement why even think about rolling the dice, go to Catalina Direct and get the right part, you won't be sorry.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

• C34IA - Secretary
  • Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Breakin Away

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 08:20:37 PM »

I though I'd close the loop on this, since I've learned some interesting things since I last posted that will be of interest to anyone else who needs to source a strut in the future.
<<However, I realize it's also possible that Buck Algonquin might have an identical one to the Catalina/CatalinaDirect, and might even make it for them. >>

Why not ask CTY parts, should be the first go-to for parts.

Alternatively ask BA if they supplied the strut to CTY.
I finally found the phone number for Buck Algonquin and called. The guy said they didn't make a strut for Catalina 34.

Then I called Catalina Yachts, and they told me they no longer carry struts because they had gotten rid of them in all their current boat designs. He told me that Buck Algonquin made them for Catalina, and I should call them. (Go figure!)

So I called the guy back at Buck Algonquin to tell them what Catalina told me. He told me he's only been there a few years, and hadn't heard of any struts for them, but there's another guy who has been there for 20 years who would know. Unfortunately, he's out until Monday or Tuesday. I asked if there's any chance they had them in stock, and he said that if they did he'd probably know about it, so I'm most likely looking at 5 to 7 weeks to have one made.

I wasn't going to wait half a week on such a long-shot chance, so I called CatalinaDirect, who had four in stock, and the part will arrive on Monday. I suspect they get them from Buck Algonquin (which is in Stevensville, MD, only about an hour away from my boat), but it's quicker to get it from California.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Pages: [1]   Go Up