Thanks to this site

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

I want to thank the people who keep this site working and the c 34 club . I have found it to be very helpful to me. I purchased a 1990 34 last spring and as I have been going through the boat system by system or project by project I always come here to check first.

Projects so far

Refinish teak floor in cabin, west system, almost satisfied with outcome

Remove and refinish wood handrails and eyebrows on cabin top, cetol.

Replace Heat exchanger, Straight forward took about an 2 hours, been a while since I contorted myself like that!

Just had bottom soda blasted to remove years of bottom paint, looks good and revealed no problems with bottom, now researching info on barrier coat and paint, Any advice welcomed.

Cushions- These used many boat units!$$, Went to Annapolis boat show, the real capt wanted cushions.  We had Island Nautical from FLA. make new V birth and quarter birth cushions. The cushions are 6 inches thick with the top 2 being memory foam. They had the templates for the cushions because they had made them for my model before. We also made cockpit and a hump cushion .  If anyone around MD wants my old cushions for free let me know.

I have AC being installed this winter. I debated on doing it myself but the capt said no and I agreed. Dometic 12K BTU installed in nav station hanging locker with vents in V birth, main salon, head and Qbirth.

I am installing a refer unit I purchased at the show, compressor is going under starboard settee in front of water tank, unit is 10x6x6.

I have an ongoing project of refinishing the interior teak, after many different processes I am going with cetol teak for many reasons. I have removed the doors on the Qbirth and head , brought home, stripped old wax and polish, and varnish off, sanded then applied cetol. I do 3 coats and I am happy with results. I have also done the folding doors and the wood around the main hatch and steps and the galley and nav station. I cannot apply cetol now as the temp is too cold, cetol needs to be above 50 degrees.

Previous owner replaced water heater, fuel tank and elliptical rudder. I was concerned that with a tall rig and wing keel I would have weather helm, which I did on my cat 30 with the same set up, however I experienced no weather helm this summer and I feel the rudder made a difference.

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Jim Hardesty

Kudos for all those finished projects.  Hope you sailed her as much as you worked on her.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

glennd3

It was a strange summer on the bay this year. Maryland has set a record for rainfall which curtailed sailing some weekends. The rain forced the opening of the Conowingo dam located at the top of the bay which sent an enormous amount of debris (logs, tires ...) down into the bay. Some members of our local club did not go out because of the debris fields. The local news media made more of an issue than it really was for boaters. I believe power boaters had more of a problem as they have more speed. We would sail and hit the debris at 5 kph and it was not a big deal. Naturally we Marylanders all blamed Pennsylvania for the debris!
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

britinusa

Any pics? Cushions, Teak, etc.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

glennd3

let me figure out how to load pictures.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

first attempt
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

trying to resize pictures
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Glenn,

Those look great.

Bottom paint:  over the years the consensus has been: "Find out what local boaters in your marina use and trust, and use that," i.e., don't reinvent the wheel, kinda like using our website!  :D

Welcome aboard.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

glennd3

new cushion vs old
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Glenn : You might want to look at Fleet 12 on this web site and think about joining.  We have a bunch of special tools in our Fleet Tool Box.

When you reinstall your teak & holly you might want to do as I did and use finishing washers in the screws.  Definitely reinstall with a screwdriver not a drill!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

floor boards
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland